The W-air glasses was the first exploratory project as a Ph.D. student. The goal of W-air was an easy way to monitor breathing in a non-invasive way, allowing it to be used while performing regular activities such as sitting, walking, biking, and even during more motion of the user. It consisted of a pair of glasses attached to a thermal camera that would directly see the nose and mouth activity of the user. We are still exploring what this device can measure, but preliminary results show an accuracy of 97% on stationary activities.
In this project, developed in the Medical Devices and Interfaces Class, we developed an Electromyograph electrode and a game to interface with the electrode using Python programming. If you want to check on the demo, please click here [project demo] to know more.
The Ecoshower project started with the idea of measuring the consumption of water and energy of showers. In Brazil, we are facing each day cases where we have to save water due to the water crisis. Therefore, we thought of a product that could easily inform us of the consume of these variables, with the option of showing the utility cost of the shower and making it possible to identify the user in cases of shared houses. Click here [document in Portuguese] to know more. With this project, I was awarded with my team with the second place of the IFSC Innovative Ideas contest, where my team earned 10,000 BRL to execute the first prototype. We also filled a patent in Brazil (2019) together with IFSC.
The Face Detection project was performed during the multimedia systems class at IFSC. We used a monitoring camera to gather live images and used the Open CV library to detect human faces and censor them. The idea of this work was to deal with live image processing and try to reduce the delay in receiving the processed data. Click here [code and report in Portuguese] to know more.
During my research internship at Microsoft Research, I was given the challenge of increase the signal quality of a wearable pulse optical sensor, which had low quality for darker skin tones. To solve that, we built a prototype of a temperature-controlled system that increases the local perfusion by applying heat on the skin surface. Our results found considerable PPG signal improvement for all six skin tones on the Fitzpatrick scale. Now we want to find out if this improvement applies to patients with low blood perfusion and also to low SPO2 levels in the blood. Click here to know more.
The antenna design project was performed during my Antenna and Propagation class at IFSC. Students had the opportunity of picking one VHF antenna from the ARSATC community, where at the end of the implementation we would have the opportunity of communicating with amateur radios and sattelites on the same working frequency. Due to material implementation and different simulation results, we had to customize our antenna different from the ARSATC Moxon-Yagi Dual Band VHF/UHF antenna, in order to maximize que signal quality for transmiting and receiving the signal. We got very positive results on the SWR and the Isotropic Gain for both of the frequencies we were working on. Also, the practical radiation path of the antenna was very close to the projected one, prooving the success of the experiment. Click here to know more.
The Tele Jr is a junior entreprise initiative created by the students who aim to have corporative experiences while they are still in college. But more than that, we do not perform internships while participating on Tele Jr, we have real jobs and learn about management roles in different sectors of the corporation: human resources, business, marketing and projects. My role was to be an maketing and communications advisor, who worked on the corporation's image, as well as organizing events and meeting to make our corporation known and to inspire and encourage students in the STEM fields to become entrepeneurs and to find themselves in the field they were studying. We also performed visits in other private corporations in order to find partnerships and bring projects to Tele Jr. Click here to know more.
I had the great pleasure of participating on a project to atract middle and high school students to the STEM fields by teaching robotics to them. The project was separated into two parts: The galena radio project and the robotics project. Using the galena radio, we could teach basic physics concepts by building and understanding the components of the galena radio, that is a passive radio built with basically one diode, on carbon microphone and a couple of thin copper wire. With the robotics project, we used the Arduino platform to build circuits and use basic embedded system coding to turn on LEDs, buzzers, create songs by varying the frequency of the components and cause a lot of fun with the students. Click here [article in Portuguese] to know more.